25.10.10

Free hugs Oct 24.2010

filmed by: Judy Kim

Probably the sweetest, heart-warming thing I've ever seen in Toronto. I'm not going to lie. When I first encountered these guys, yelling for free hugs, my eyebrows arched. If it weren't for the matching sweaters, I probably would be skeptical. Then it hit me. How upsetting of a reaction is that? But to all good reason. Let's be real, our first reaction and RULE in the city is never to be naive and never talk to strangers, let alone hug them.

What I encountered yesterday gave me a feeling of great balance for my city. Let me explain what I mean by that. I'm not going to state how amazing Toronto is- because that's cliche and untrue. There's always room for improvements. So balance because too much of a good thing can be bad or upsetting, because then, it's fantasy. AND you won't believe me.

On the news you hear about rape, theft, violence, etc. But today, on my blog (requited.tumblr.com) you'll hopefully realize that there is another side. One more thing to share: that very moment the feeling of community rushed inside of me. I felt so proud and blessed to live in Toronto. So, when you do see these guys in the city. Give them a hug. Spread the love. P.S They give the BEST hugs ever. FREEHUGS